Thursday, July 8, 2010



2010 FIFA World Cup Brackets
2010 FIFA World CupImage via Wikipedia
Nothing left but the final game and the 3rd place game--I will finish in the top 10% of ESPN's bracket pool which is good for a guy that doesn't watch/care about soccer. I do love brackets though, and so here was how it worked out for me

First of the 3 group rounds I went 7-9

Notable was that I was 1-2 going against the favorites.  I guessed S Korea would pummel Greece, but the other two times I went against the grain bit me in the ass.  The one I remember most was the game Spain played against Switzerland where the Swiss scored a brutal 'rush the net' goal leaving several Spaniards on the ground--set the stage for me to consistently underrate Spain.  Thanks Switzerland!

Next group round was even worse 6-10

Thought Germany was overrated and took Serbia--bad move.  I did guess the US/Slovenia draw in this round, but then took Nigeria and Ghana who both lost.  There were a few upsets so I wasn't the only one that got screwed in this round.  Little consolation though

Final group round was much better 10-6 to close out group play at 23-22, which vaulted me into the top 15% of all ESPN bracket participants--I was in like 10,000th place out of apparently 75,000 or so entries.  I jumped right at the end because after missing the first 3 in this round (2 were upsets) I hit 7 favorites and 3 draws including Brazil/Portugal and New Zealand/Paraguay--this would be the only time my overrating of Portugal and underrating of Paraguay would help though..


In the sweet 16 games I went 5-3

Lost taking US over Ghana..dammit!  This worked out though as I picked the other 5 of first 6 games and outpaced another small chunk of those at the top.  I found myself as high as like 4,000th (over 95% percentile) during this round when I was 5-1..then I went underdog
Japan over Paraguay (DOH!!) and Portugal over Spain.  I was not happy.  Portugal and Paraguay giveth and taketh away.

In the Quarterfinals my lack of soccer knowledge really started to come through.  I only picked 1 of the 4.

Although, Argentina should have beaten Germany.  That was my favorite game of the tournament--I even watched it in its entirety after finding out Argentina lost 4-1 because I love watching Messi flying around.  And Maradonna you can tell just wants to get out of the suit and take a corner kick.
And I stand by the Brazil pick--the Netherlands are tough though and they duked it out.  I would go so far as to say those Dutch pricks took some cheap shots and lived on the edge of decency.  But hats off for beating Brazil, that was a great game.

Ghana screwed me again..I don't know that I picked them right throughout so glad to see them go..thought maybe since they were the last African team in, and it was in Africa...yeah--didn't happen.

In the semis I took Netherlands correctly, and I thought Germany was a lock.  Spain still has not impressed me yet.  Yes, they beat Germany 1-0 on a nice header late in the 2nd half, but Germany is older and I think that came through today.

So now we come down to the 3rd place game--Germany is going to be able to whale on Uruguay.  That is simple.  I think the championship game could go either way so I am torn.

The  higher ranked team is winning just about every game in this tournament, but.... 

I am leaning towards the Dutch because they are rough and big and seem to be good at working to a set piece and then pounding on you when they are taking those shots.  I don't know that Spain is going to hold up.

We'll see soon enough.  One thing is for sure--this mascot 'Zakumi' answers the question: 'What would happen if the hot cartoon chick from the Thundercats had a baby with one of the Village People?'Zakumi, the official mascot for the 2010 FIFA ...Image via Wikipedia


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment


Links

50 Great Movies

(movies listed in italics are available for instant streaming on Netflix if you subscribe to that)


Comedies (15)

Borat

(2006, Sacha Baron Cohen, Ken Davitian)

(Sacha Baron Cohen)


Talladega Nights

(2006, Adam McKay)

(Will Ferrell)


Anchorman

(2004)

(Will Ferrell)


Rushmore

(1998, Wes Anderson)

(Jason Schwartzman)


The Big Lebowski

(1998) (Jeff Bridges)


There’s Something About Mary

(1998, Farrelly bros)

(Ben Stiller)


Austin Powers

(1997) (Mike Myers)


Happy Gilmore

(1996) (Adam Sandler)


Tommy Boy

(1995) (Chris Farley)


Bottle Rocket

(1994, Wes Anderson)

(Owen+Luke Wilson)


Greedy

(1994, Jonathan Lynn)

(Michael J Fox)


The Naked Gun

(1988, David Zucker)

(Leslie Neilsen)


Raising Arizona

(1987, Joel Coen)

(Nicolas Cage)


Three Amigos!

(1986)

(Chevy Chase, Steve Martin)


Stripes

(1981, Ivan Reitman)

(Bill Murray)


Non-comedic (35)


Slumdog Millionaire

(2008, Danny Boyle)

(Dev Patel)


No Country for Old Men

(2007, Coen bros)

(Javier Bardem)


The Departed

(2006, Martin Scorsese)

(Leonardo DiCaprio)


Syriana

(2005, Stephen Gaghan)

(George Clooney)


Brokeback Mountain

(2005, Ang Lee)

(Heath Ledger)


Walk The Line

(2005) (Joaquin Phoenix)


Crash

(2005, Paul Haggis)

(Sandra Bullock)


Mystic River

(2003, Clint Eastwood)

(Sean Penn)


Traffic

(2000, Steven Soderbergh)

(Benicio Del Toro)


Unbreakable

(2000, M. Night Shyamalan)

(Bruce Willis)


The Matrix

(1999, Wachowski bros)

(Keanu Reeves)


Man on the Moon

(1999) (Jim Carrey)


Saving Private Ryan

(1998, Steven Spielberg)

(Tom Hanks)


Boogie Nights

(1997, Paul Thomas Anderson)

(Marky Mark)


Starship Troopers

(1997) (Denise Richards)


Good Will Hunting

(1997, Gus Van Sant)

(Matt Damon)


Braveheart

(1995, Mel Gibson)

(Mel Gibson)


The Usual Suspects

(1995, Brian Singer)

(Kevin Spacey)


The Shawshank Redemption

(1994, Frank Darabont)

(Tim Robbins)



Schindler's List

(1993, Steven Spielberg)

(Liam Neeson)


Unforgiven

(1992, Clint Eastwood)

(Clint Eastwood)


Glengarry Glen Ross

(1992, James Foley)

(Al Pacino)


JFK

(1991, Oliver Stone)

(Kevin Costner)


Boyz 'N the Hood

(1991, John Singleton)

(Ice Cube)


The Silence of the Lambs

(1991, Jonathan Demme)

(Anthony Hopkins)


Goodfellas

(1990, Martin Scorsese)

(Robert DeNiro)


La Bamba

(1987) (Lou Diamond Phillips)


Full Metal Jacket

(1987, Stanley Kubrick)

(Mathew Modine)


Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

(1982) (William Shatner)


Raiders of the Lost Ark

(1981, Steven Spielberg)

(Harrison Ford)


Superman II

(1980) (Christopher Reeve)


Apocalypse Now

(1979, Francis Ford Coppola)

(Martin Sheen)


Slaughterhouse Five

(1972) (Michael Sacks)


The Godfather

(1972, Francis Ford Coppola)

(Marlon Brando)


A Clockwork Orange

(1971, Stanley Kubrick)

(Malcolm McDowell)